WNA -Who We Are
The Westgate Neighbors Association (WNA) was formed in 2008 with the mission of preserving, improving, and enhancing the viability, livability, and overall quality of life for residents of Westgate.
We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit civic organization, composed of residents, business owners, and others interested in supporting our mission. The following principles guide our actions:
- Promote community spirit among residents, businesses, organizations, and the surrounding neighborhoods
- Restore, preserve, and maintain the character and distinct qualities of Westgate and its surrounding communities
- Represent the interests of the residents of Westgate before governmental bodies
- Work in cooperation with existing organizations on issues that impact Westgate
- Encourage the development and retention of businesses that benefit the community
- Engage and educate neighbors regarding issues of interest to our community
- Promote the amenities and quality of life available in Westgate to those outside the neighborhood
- Sponsor neighborhood projects and social events
Membership in WNA is open to everyone who is interested in contributing to the betterment of the neighborhood.
Why Join WNA?
- make a difference where you live
- involved neighbors care
- demonstrate pride and lend your voice
- regularly emailed newsletters
- voting rights in WNA
2021 Westgate Neighbors Association Board
Front Row, Left to Right: Margaret Saldivar, Sue Laughlin, Molly Donavan, Susan Duel, Andy Lucas, Greg Kindel and Shannon Custer.
Back Row, Left to Right: Betty Jaynes, Meredith Finley, Jennifer Morrison, Mike Blake, Dan Vought, Susie Loik and Evelyn Slaybaugh
Not pictured: Melissa Rumer and Robin Bennett
WESTGATE HOME AND GARDEN TOUR
An opportunity to showcase our unique area, the Westgate Home and Garden Tour has welcomed hundreds of guests and future residents. The committee plans, coordinates, supervises and implements all aspects of the event. We encourage ambassadors to attend at least one Westgate Home and Garden Tour before becoming a tour ambassador. For more information or to become and ambassador contact us.
MUMS & MUMMIES
A fall festival of garden mums, games, trunk or treat, food and drink and costume contests for kids, adults and our pets in Westgate Park! This is a FREE neighborhood event and is co-hosted with Friends of Westgate Park (FOWP). There is also a bake sale fundraiser for FOWP. The committee plans, coordinates, supervises and implements all aspects of the event. For more information or to become an ambassador contact us.
NEW NEIGHBOR WELCOME
Ambassadors take the opportunity to personally welcome new residents to Westgate by delivering welcome packets which include information about WNA, trash and recycling, neighborhood events, and more. For more information or to become an ambassador contact us.
Westgate has become a hotspot on StreetFoodFinder.com and has gained popularity among central Ohio food truck operators! Scheduling food trucks is one of our favorite tasks to coordinate and volunteers have FUN bringing new food options each month to Westgate! For more information or to become an ambassador contact us.
Things ambassadors can do:
- Deliver new neighbor welcome packets
- Coordinate food truck visits
- Sell ads and tickets for Home and Garden Tour
- Help select scholarship recipient
- Coordinate ambassadors for our events
- Storyteller at Mums and Mummies
- Advocate for Westgate and so much more!
Want to learn more about becoming an ambassador? Contact us below!
Accomplishments, Projects, and Visions
PROMOTE, COMMUNICATE, AND ENGAGE
- Obtained $10,000 in grant money to establish Welcome to Westgate signage
- Created the WestgateNeighbors.org website and Westgate Neighbors Association Facebook page
- Co-sponsor, with Friends of Westgate Park (FoWP), Mums & Mummies, a celebration of fall colors and garden mums in Westgate Park
BUILD AND SUPPORT COMMUNITY
- Collaborate with area civic groups
- Support and promote Friends of Westgate Park initiatives, programs, and projects
- Award an annual postsecondary education scholarship
- Sponsor and support Westgate Farmers Market
- Support Columbus Westside Running Club and sponsor Hilltop U.S.A. 5K
SUPPORTING LOCAL BUSINESSES
- Welcomed new businesses: Koko (2020), The Design Refinery (2018), 3060 Gallery (2018), Pretty Pooch (2018), Clay Street Ceramics (2017), Third Way Cafe (2017), Adam B. Studio (2017), Westgate Salon (2016)
- Organize and manage a rotating food truck schedule
- Offer a microgrant to local Westgate businesses
- Promote local businesses and encourage buying local
COMMUNITY SPIRIT AND WESTGATE CHARACTER
- Celebrated our 10 year anniversary and produced an overview video in 2018
- Created Celebrating Westgate, a book dedicated to preserving a slice of history through historical notes, collected memories, recipes and photos. It may be purchased on our website, Westgate Salon, Westgate Farmers Market at the WNA table, and events.
- Recognition of the WNA scholarship recipient for commitment to community service and leadership
Westgate - The Neighborhood
Westgate is one of the most unique neighborhoods in all of Columbus. It’s eclectic, active, and beautifully and lovingly maintained. See what we’re bragging about!
The microgrant is designed to provide additional support and/or opportunity to local Westgate and Westgate adjacent businesses.
Only businesses that have been operating more than 1 year are eligible. Business must be located within the Westgate boundaries or directly adjacent. Westgate is bounded from Hague Avenue to Demorest Road and West Broad Street to Sullivant Avenue.